Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Energy Bars

When I'm out and about or in a rush I like to have some of these handy. Just like the granola bars in my previous post, I keep these tasty energy bars individually wrapped in the freezer. Again, I got the recipe from the Holistic Nutrition Bytes blog and adapted it slightly. Here's the link to the original: http://www.maryvancenc.com/2009/01/i-have-created-an-energy-bar/


I plan to try out this recipe with more variations. I'm going to use applesauce instead of the eggs, and if the substitution improves the bars I will post an update. I would also like to try ground flaxseeds mixed with warm water into a paste as a substitute for the eggs, but I think the applesauce might work better flavor-wise.

Energy Bar
1/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup vanilla rice protein powder
1 cup oats
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1-2 TBSP ground flaxseeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1/4 - 1/2 cup honey/agave nectar/maple syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
4 TBSP coconut oil
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8"×8" baking dish with coconut oil. Combine almond meal, rice protein powder, oats, baking powder, salt, ground flaxseeds, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix together eggs, honey, vanilla, coconut oil, dried fruit, and nuts. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Press into pan and dust with flaked coconut. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is lightly brown and coconut looks toasted. Cool completely then cut into squares.


No comments: