Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Peach Crisp

I love our local Farmers Market. For the past 3 Saturdays I've brought home gorgeous peaches with the intention of making something yummy, but the peaches seem to disappear before I can get around to doing anything creative with them. Not so this week! I found a recipe online at Gluten Free on a Shoestring for Peach Crisp and decided to give it a try.


Here is the recipe:

Peach Crisp
Filling Ingredients
4-5 large peaches, pitted & sliced thin (or diced)
Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
3 tablespoons
Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Make the filling. Toss the peaches in a large bowl with lemon juice. This truly is an optional step. The lemon juice will cut the sweetness of the dish somewhat, but it does change the flavor. Add the rest of the filling ingredients and toss to combine. Place filling in a 10″ pie plate. Set aside.

Topping Ingredients
1 cup
Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
(or 1/2 cup sliced almonds)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
10 teaspoons unsalted butter, cold & diced small
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1-2 tablespoons ice cold water

Make the topping. Combine all the topping ingredients except the water in a large bowl. Cut with a pastry cutter or two knives until the butter is coated with and evenly distributed in the dry ingredients, & looks like little peas. Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture clumps.

Sprinkle the topping unevenly over the filling mixture. Place the ramekins or pie plate atop some foil or a rimmed baking sheet in case the topping bubbles over. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is bubbling & the topping is browned.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product before tucking in. But, at least this way you get to see this filling, right?

Now, I have to admit my substitutions, because I just wouldn't be me if I followed a recipe exactly. I didn't have any granulated sugar, so I used turbinado. I opted to add the lemon juice to the peaches. I thought that would help the peaches stay looking fresh, and I like the end result. I did not use any almonds. I think the topping could definitely use more butter, but in the interest of keeping the recipe as healthy as possible, I only used the 10 teaspoons. All in all, I think it's a success, especially when topped with some vanilla coconut milk ice cream.



No comments: