Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sweet Potato Muffins

I currently have a pantry full of sweet potatoes, so I was browsing recipes online to try and find some fun and interesting things to do with them. I found a recipe for sweet potato muffins that looked promising, so I tried it this afternoon. I adapted the ingredients a wee bit to make it gluten free. There are, of course, plenty of gluten free sweet potato muffin recipes out there, but usually you have to bake and puree or mash the sweet potatoes first, and I just didn't want to take the time to do that. Maybe next weekend.


These muffins came out rather dense and moist, and I promise I didn't over mix them. If you're going for a hearty, filling muffin as opposed to a light and tender one, then this recipe fits the bill. The original recipe most likely produces a different texture, but these muffins remind me of carrot cake. Hmm, I bet they'd be super yummy with some cream cheese icing drizzled over the top. Or maybe a maple syrup glaze brushed on while they're still warm from the oven. Looks as though I have a few things to keep in mind for next time.

Sweet Potato Muffins

6 TBSP butter, softened
2/3 cup turbinado sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup coconut milk
2 cups finely shredded sweet potato
2/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional--I didn't add any to mine)

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla until well blended.

In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with coconut milk, mixing just until moistened. Stir in sweet potato and nuts (if using), mixing just until moistened. Spoon into greased muffin cups and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Makes 12.


No comments: